The Landing Site
The actions of wind and sea have altered the landscape since 1944. The beach here is wider, and dunes have built up and become covered in vegetation in the past 59 years. The Walthall crew, flying #909 brought their aircraft down in this area, possibly in the water, then slid up and over a dike. Their ship's final resting place was then a mudflat located where the dunes are now to the distant left. The town lays further down the beach and to the left.
© Copyright by the 486th Bomb Group Association